Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Sleep Without Drugs (That's the goal, anyway)

Wednesday, September 3

Yesterday I finally saw my primary doctor and discussed things with him. I'm still not sleeping without Xanax, but he told me I need to try not to use it for sleep. He suggested over the counter sleeping pills, but my last experience with that was terrible, which I posted about during the first day of this blog. Another option would be Trazodone, which is an anti-depressant that nobody uses to treat depression with anymore because it makes people too sleepy. It is not habit forming like Xanax, so I might try it if things don't go well.

So last night I went to bed without taking anything, and it was sort-of successful. I had adrenaline & tension going in my chest all through the night but it wasn't so severe that I didn't get any sleep. I didn't get much sleep however, (and I keep my wife up with all the tossing & turning) so hopefully tonight goes better.

One interesting effect of not taking Xanax to sleep is that I woke up with the same tension I had during my first week off work. It never really went away, but it's not as bad as before and I didn't have any nausea with it, so things are looking up. When I sleep with Xanax, I wake up rested and peaceful. Obviously I need to get to that point without drugs, but it isn't happening quite yet.

Random Paragraph That Has Nothing To Do With This Post:

I have basically given up coffee, which is one of my favorite things in the world. Some days I'm bad and make an Americano or a small press pot (mmm...) but drinking it usually makes me sick or brings tension into my chest. Fortunately I've gotten into tea in the last few years and I can still handle that.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marcus - be careful. trazadone is also used to treat erectile dysfunction if i'm not mistaken :o

pizzo

Marcus said...

Maybe it will offset the potential opposite dysfunction of the Celexa!

Anonymous said...

Um...On a completely different note...

http://todd-holland.com/TeaCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=1224

This is one of my very favorite teas EVER!!!

Marcus said...

I'll have to stop by and try some if I'm ever in Chicago again. I'm too scared to spend $25 on something I might not like. It doesn't look like they have sample sizes.

Marcus said...

Okay, I found a $15 green sampler that had it. But they wanted $8 for shipping (adagio.com is $3.75) so I also got a $30 black estate sampler to make it seem worthwhile :)

Anonymous said...

If you like it let me know and I can go buy it from the shop and ship it to you. I think the bags I buy are between 5-10 dollars. Let me know on the others that you got!