Sunday, September 21, 2008

Bipolar II?

I had never heard of bipolar II before (as opposed to 'regular' bipolar, AKA bipolar I), but it's a possibility I need to look into. My dad was just diagnosed with it and it can be hereditary. There are many symptoms for bipolar II which include panic attacks, but that's just a small piece of the puzzle.

This condition is easy to mis-diagnose because the symptoms include anxiety and depression; two biggies for many people. Also the highs and lows are much more understated so it's not always obvious that a person is ill.

I don't know too much about it but my counsellor went over the symptoms with me and more of then ring a bell than not. I'm seeing the psychologist on October 6th so we'll see where to go next at that meeting. I put a call into the office asking for a screening but I don't know if she can do it or if I have to be referred to a psychiatrist. Only psychiatrists can prescribe the medication for all forms of bipolar, but maybe they don't need to do the screening.

I'm kind of hoping that I do have bipolar II because then I'll have an excuse for being such a jerk!

Here's some bedtime reading. Good luck figuring out what it means.
http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis1/p21-md05.html

After reading that page I have my doubts about the condition now - many of the things I talked about with my counsellor don't seem to be listed, and I'm pretty sure I've never had a major depressive episode, which is a requirement for diagnosis. I'll just wait and see what the psychologist thinks and go from there I guess.

Also, I'd just like to let everyone know that I spelled psychologist and psychiatrist right without the help of spellcheck. I'm sure you're proud.

No comments: