Monday, October 20, 2008

Man Vs. Computer

I'm trying out a video editing program for the first time in years, and it could have gone better. I spent a good portion of the day figuring out how to make a slideshow behave how I want it to. When I went to burn it, the computer blue-screened and re-booted. This had also happened the other day when I burned an mp3 disc using iTunes, so I suspected something other than the program.

I had just rebuilt the system from scratch a few days ago, but I did install Windows XP service pack 3 against my better judgment. It made setup faster, but I've had several blue screens of death with the exact same hardware & software that has been running great for over a year. Anyhow, I rebooted and tried again, with the same result.

One more reboot, and I uninstalled a drive emulation tool to see if that helped. I went to open my video project and it was corrupted! Fortunately most of the day was spent figuring out how to use the program, not actually making the show so I was able to reconstruct the video in about an hour. Burned with a different drive and it worked.

So here it is in all of it's low quality YouTube goodness. This is a slideshow of my Grandmother's memorial and burial service. Just still photos, but I've got a hankering for a DV cam now. Expanding expensive hobbies is always good, right?


No comments: